[SURBL-Discuss] [SARE] Bigevil IMPORTANT update/test.

Chris Santerre csanterre at merchantsoverseas.com
Fri Jun 25 13:21:20 CEST 2004

Ok guys, sorry there have been little updates to BE for a while. I have been
working closely with SURBL project. We have got to the point where BE is now
generated from ws.surbl.org which is what I have been contributing domains
to instead of BE. Awaiting for this day. :)

So we now have BE auto generated from WS.surbl.org...however this is a LOT
more data! HUGE increase. There are now 2369 rules!

TOP reports SIZE going from 22 megs to now 36 megs for spamd, however RSS
only went from 21 megs to 22 megs.

I have no idea how this will effect systems under heavy load. Those systems
should definitely stay with SURBL as this is just a local regex copy of it.
But for those systems that can't/won't use SURBL and want a local copy of
this larger bigevil here is the link: (~600k)

www.rulesemporium.com/rules/bigevil2.cf

PLEASE report any findings to this list. It lints fine and I'm running it
today. Part of me is wondering if this is even worthwhile when SA 3.0 will
support SURBL direct. So these tests may be just to see the effect of such a
ruleset on SA right now. We may just do away with it and have everyone use
SURBL.

The only updates I've been doing to the regular BE is removing a few FPs. I
will not officially make this new large file the regular Bigevil for at
least a week.

Again, please give feedback. Thanks!

Chris Santerre
System Admin and SARE Ninja
http://www.rulesemporium.com
http://www.surbl.org
'It is not the strongest of the species that survives,
not the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.'
Charles Darwin