[SURBL-Discuss] One resource in identifying spammers trying to use your service

William Stearns wstearns at pobox.com
Fri Jun 25 13:48:20 CEST 2004

Good afternoon, administrator,
	Thanks for providing the littleurl service - the links you provide
are a lot easier to type.
	I'd like to offer one free resource to you in trying to keep your
system from being abused by spammers.  I maintain a blacklist of spam
domains at http://www.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/ ; the specific file you'll
probably want is
http://www.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/sa-blacklist.current.domains .  This
is a list of ~22,700 spammer domains.  Would you consider checking the
domains people submit for littleurl against that list as part of the
littleurl creation process, and if found, perhaps not provide a littleurl
for it?
	If you'd rather not check against a file that large or you want to
do this over dns, you can also place a lookup for that domain against
submitted.domain.ws.surbl.org
	- if you get back an "A" record for it, it's in the above list.
More details at http://www.surbl.org .
	Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
	Cheers,
	- Bill

        "Silly hacker, root is for administrators."
        -- Unknown
(Courtesy of Fabrice MARIE <fabrice at celestix.com>)