[SURBL-Discuss] Hello

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Fri Jun 25 17:07:48 CEST 2004

On Friday, June 25, 2004, 2:52:12 PM, Dave Navarro wrote:
> At 6/25/2004, you wrote:
>>What lists did you tst, and in what way? I think quantity should not
>>matter, but quality does. Overhere its catching up 73% of my spam, i dont
>>see any other RBL doing that currently.

> Which lists are you checking against?  I'm getting between a 10% and 20%
> catch rate.  If I change my code to check both the domain and the IP
> address for each domain, that goes up to around 30%.

> I added code that allows me to add my own domains and IP's to a private
> blacklist.  After adding about 100 or so to the private blacklist, I find
> that the catch rates goes up to 60%.  I added another 300 to my private
> blacklist last night and its up to around 90%, but I did get 3 false
> positives last night.

> For my testing I'm simply adding an X-SPAM header and I'm only running it
> against my own personal domain, none of my clients.

Dave,
You don't mention which of the several SURBL lists you were
using, but the larger lists such as ws and ob were themselves
hitting 60-70% of spams in test corpora.

That said, if you are confident enough in your manual entries
that they could be used by people to actually block messages on
production mail servers, you may want to share them with us so we
can put them into ws.surbl.org.  The best way to do that would
probably be to mail them to Chris, Bill or me.  I'd request that
you check them over thoroughly before sending.  We'd probably
check them against all of our existing lists also to see which
ones are unique.