[SURBL-Discuss] Re: Pruning dead domains

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Sat Jun 26 10:12:58 CEST 2004

Jeff Chan wrote:

> 1.  Unusable domains do spammers no good.  They probably
> don't have much incentive to keep including them since
> they would send people to a site that doesn't work.

ACK, and as far as SC is concerned, SC wont't find a report
address for "dead" domains, and therefore they should drop
from sc.surbl.org automatically.  I have to admit that I
never checked how the other SURBL zones really work, do
they also have some kind of automatical expiration ?

> FWIW They're not actually removed; they're suppressed with a
> whitelist.

Yes, and that's the bad thing, because it's something you have
to do manually.  Sooner or later spammers will abuse the delay
caused by manual whitelists.  Maybe you could use the SC input
to automatically remove alive-again-domains from the dead list.

> Pruning these lets us reduce the size of our lists quite a
> bit which is generally a good thing for practical reasons.

If you want to prune the list replace all listed *.biz domains
by one wildcard *.biz entry (just kidding ;-)  Bye, Frank