[SURBL-Discuss] ob and ab added to multi.surbl.org, docs updated for multi use

Justin Mason jm at jmason.org
Sat Jun 26 21:34:10 CEST 2004

Jeff Chan writes:
>We've added the content from ab and ob into multi.surbl.org,
>so it now has all the currently active lists:
>
>  http://www.surbl.org/lists.html
>
>with the following bitmasks representing the different lists:
>
> 2 = comes from sc.surbl.org
> 4 = comes from ws.surbl.org (and be.surbl.org)
> 8 = comes from phishing list (labelled as ph in multi)
>16 = comes from ob.surbl.org
>32 = comes from ab.surbl.org

BTW, is this planned to be a bitmask, or multiple A records?  because
currently it seems to include only one BL per listed domain:

$ dig surbl-org-permanent-test-[blah].com.multi.surbl.org.
; <<>> DiG 9.2.4rc2 <<>> surbl-org-permanent-test-[blah].com.multi.surbl.org.
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 13, ADDITIONAL: 11

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;surbl-org-permanent-test-[blah].com.multi.surbl.org. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
surbl-org-permanent-test-[blah].com.multi.surbl.org. 348906 IN A	127.0.0.2

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
surbl.org.		7212	IN	NS	ns5.surbl.org.
[........etc.]
;; Query time: 27 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Jun 26 20:30:04 2004
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 499

However, that domain, with "[blah]" replaced by "point" of course,
is present in all the lists -- so it should be returning something
either other than 127.0.0.2, or multiple records.

>I've also updated the SURBL Quick Start page:
>  http://www.surbl.org/quickstart.html
>to link to the updated URIDNSBL.pm page containing the urirhssub
>program which can use multi.surbl.org:
>  http://spamassassin.org/full/3.0.x/dist/lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/URIDNSBL.pm
>and also added sample configs for using multi.surbl.org based on
>the sample URIBL configs at:
>  http://www.spamassassin.org/full/3.0.x/dist/rules/25_uribl.cf
>Would someone who has actually used urirhssub please check the
>sample configs and scores for correctness?

yep, looks fine.  could you open a bug on the sa bugzilla and I'll
get those in before we start mass-checking?  (hopefully, assuming
everyone's happy with the accuracy rates.  OB_SURBL for sure
at least, though.)

>Updating the documentation like this is in preparation for the
>release of SA 3.0.  Does anyone have any thoughts on when we
>should announce the multi.surbl.org support?  Should it wait
>until 3.0 is fully released or not?

Nah.  go ahead and announce!  other products will want to use
it, no need for them to wait for SpamAssassin. ;)

- --j.