[SURBL-Discuss] Sendmail milter and SURBLs? sbl.spamhaus.org and SpamCopURI or urirhsbl?

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sun May 2 22:25:28 CEST 2004

On Sunday, May 2, 2004, 9:18:13 PM, Simon Byrnand wrote:
> Would there be any point ? Does sbl.spamhaus.org list hostnames ? (I didn't
> think so, but I could be wrong) I suspect that milter does a DNS lookup on
> the hostnames and checks the found ip address against the sbl, and
> SpamCopURI wouldn't do that...

As I understand it, sbl does have a minority of domain names that
might be found in message bodies, but most of what it has is IP
addresses, which you correctly note largely would not be meaningful
for SpamCopURI.

If the milter does name resolution that's definitely not what we
want, but perhaps it could be modified to not resolve names.
If it checks names to names from messages to RBL, then it could
work with SURBLs.

Our data in the current SURBLs is specifically meant for the task
we have set for them, so this was sort of a side question in the
hope that we may be closer to a milter for sendmail which could
be used with SURBLs.