[SURBL-Discuss] Proposal to add some anti-phishing data to SURBL

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Tue May 4 00:23:41 CEST 2004

David Hooton of Platform Networks has been converting the
proprietary SpamAssassin message content filtering rules of
MailSecurity.net.au into SURBLs.  The data's being organized into
separate SURBLs, for example pharma, phishing, and other spams.
In order to give something back to the SURBL/SA community and the
Internet in general, he is proposing to make the phishing data
freely available for potential inclusion by Bill Stearns in
ws.surbl.org.

Access to the other lists would be sold commercially, but the
phishing data would be a potentially useful spam/fraud/crime
fighting tool to make available to everyone, while hopefully
creating some recognition for their other lists.  A preliminary
web page describing the phishing list is at:

  http://www.mailsecurity.net.au/phish/

Dave describes the status of the phishing list as public in that:
"We're going to release our phishing attack list publicly and it
will remain that way for the duration of it's life.  The only
attachment to my business will be that we use it as well & that
it will be maintained by my staff."  The site will get a phishing
spam form added for public submissions before it goes live.
Their phishing data sources include spamtraps and feeds from
other organizations.

Dave asked me to bring up this idea for some discussion and
feedback, and he's on these lists so feel free to reply here.

How do people feel about adding this data to a public SURBL?
Does this kind of division of free and commercial uses seem
ok?  Would any of the SURBL public name servers have any
issues with an arrangement like this?

Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc at surbl.org
http://www.surbl.org/