[SURBL-Discuss] Re[2]: Bug in Spamcop's surbl add-on module

Robert Menschel Robert at menschel.net
Thu May 6 21:17:39 CEST 2004

Hello Jeff,

JC> OK I've added a "new"-style regex to remove any subdomains on
JC> generic TLD domains:
JC>     http://www.icann.org/tlds/
JC>
JC> s/^([^\.]*\.)+([^\.]*)\.(com|net|org|edu|mil|biz|info|int|arpa|name|museum|coop|aero|pro)$/\2.\3/
                                                                   ^^^^

The name.tld started life as a 3-level TLD.  Many people have individual
abc.def.name domains (eg: my own robert.menschel.name).

If you strip that third level, that means that if someone registers
spammer.menschel.name (which I have no control over), since I cannot
register menschel.name), and spammer.menschel.name then gets added to
your lists, my robert.menschel.name will be collateral damage.

I realize that since the .name TLD now accepts both 2-level and 3-level
domains (2-level is OK if nobody owns a 3-level domain with that 2nd
level), this may be a very complex issue.

Bob Menschel
alternate email address:  bob at robert.menschel.net
alternate web site:       http://robert.menschel.name