[SURBL-Discuss] Re: [Possible Spam] New Redirector?

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sat May 8 15:31:50 CEST 2004

On Friday, May 7, 2004, 4:12:09 AM, Carl Hutzler wrote:
> Yes, we are aware of it and working to shut it down. It is not easy at
> all due to how the system works (as is the case with many redirector URLs).

Thanks!   Another way to stop them would be for redirector sites
to use SURBL or similar spam domain data to deny services to
spammers, as the metamark redirector is now doing:

  http://www.surbl.org/news.html

 4/30/04: Ask Bjørn Hansen of develooper.com is using SURBL data
to block spammer domains in the Metamark Shorten™ Service URI
shortening and redirection service. This is the first use of
SURBL data to prevent abuse of a redirection site that we've
heard of! Great going! Ask explains his motivation as: "I mostly
did it to make it less likely that I'll have to deal with abusers
of the service manually. Hopefully the other redirection services
will realize that benefit soon as well."

Also, if you haven't already seen it, perhaps our open letter
to redirectors could help:

  http://www.surbl.org/redirect.html

Cheers,