[SURBL-Discuss] RFC: Combined SURBL list details, phishing list ready

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed May 12 17:26:41 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, May 12, 2004, 4:21:04 PM, Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
>> Is it necessarily a good idea to combine lists like ws and be into a single
>> entity when the sources of information are different ? (One comes from
>> Bill, one comes from Chris) What policies of inclusion and removal do they
>> each have ?
>>
>> Say that a legitimate domain were somehow blocked, how would an end user
>> know if it was Bill's data or Chris's that actually had it listed, to try
>> and get it removed ? Etc...

> You get a different answer from DNS... pretty clear :)

>> So from a technical point of view, fine no problem, but I wonder a bit
>> about compatibility of listing policies etc..

> Its only as a combined list to avoid double lookups for people who check
> with all 3 available lists, as most do currently. Saves 2/3 of the load on
> the nameservers :)

Actually I was getting tricky and proposing to collapse ws and be
into a single response within a combined list.   This was mainly
to prevent needing to remove separate be entries later since it will
probably be merged into ws eventually.  I was proposing short
circuiting that process in the combined list.