[SURBL-Discuss] Whitelist discussion

William Stearns wstearns at pobox.com
Thu May 13 13:06:01 CEST 2004

Good day, Chris, all,

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Chris Santerre wrote:

> So what do we do with candidates for whitelists? Also, what do we do with

	My suggestion is that each of us maintains a file of whitelist
domains (I'm defining those as "domains that should never be blacklisted",
such as generic ISPs, free web site providers, etc; see my document from a
week or so back).  Those whitelists will all be checked as part of Paul's
new project.

> things that should NOT be whitelisted, but NOT reported as spam? Examples
> are cacheing services. Which are often used by spammers for images, but
> legit as well.

	Caching services (akamai) and redirectors (msn, yahoo) go in the
same category for me; they get whitelisted because they can be used by
spam and legitimate mail.  I juts removed the last vestiges of yahoo's
redirectors from the sa-blacklist this morning; I figure that the surbl
parsing code needs to handle those; if those packages do their job right,

http://rd.yahoo.com/*http://bigspammer.com

	should show up as a query for bigspammer.com to the surbl lists.
	I'm maintaining a file of redirector examples and have sent off
previous versions of that file to Justin and Erik.
http://www.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/redirector-examples.current.txt

> I think images.exactis.com is one. And of course we have all the akamai.net
> servers.

	I already have exactis.com and akamai.com/akamaitech.net on my
whitelist.
	As I stated in the reviewer guidelines document,
bigevel/sa-blacklist/*.surbl.org are _not_ responsible for catching
_every_ spam.  If a message has no URL's at all (nigeria/diploma), or has
only urls that end up at geocities/angelfire/akamai/exactis, we can't do
anything about those.  Some other piece of the spam recognition puzzle
will get them.
	Cheers,
	- Bill

	"... Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in
terror, and you would not have been informed."
	-- Eric Steele <v2steele at us.ibm.com>