ADMIN: Replies changed to go to poster instead of list (Was: Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Autoreponder setup incorrectly)

John Fawcett johnml at michaweb.net
Sun May 16 13:09:29 CEST 2004

From: "Raymond Dijkxhoorn"
> Hi!
>
> > > I have disabled the guys address, since he was indeed listed in the
> > > discuss list.
> >
> > > Once he gets back he can contact us.
>
> > And I have changed the list to have replies go back to the poster
> > and not the list.  That should prevent broken vacation messages
> > from going to the list.
>
> Is that smart? Usually the list server filters those, didnt see once go
> through yet. Its the broken exchange crap we have to fix, ohw wait, thats
> not ours :)
>
> Bye,
> Raymond.

I took a closer look at the headers. The autoresponder reply came directly
to me (the original poster) and not through the list address, so this
confirms what Raymond says. Its the autoresponder which is broken
- (obviously) because it should not send replies for messages received from
mail lists
- because it does not use the return-path header but the From.

So I think the conclusion is:
- the list settings were fine the way they were (the reply-to is just a
convience for MUAs when you hit Reply)
- the only thing that can be done is to temporarily suspend the email
address (unless we want the posters to live with it: in this case 1
broken vacation autoresponders.)

John