[SURBL-Discuss] urls not parsed by spamcop itself

William Stearns wstearns at pobox.com
Mon May 17 01:32:48 CEST 2004

Good evening, Jeff,

On Sun, 16 May 2004, Jeff Chan wrote:

> On Sunday, May 16, 2004, 4:19:30 AM, John Fawcett wrote:
> > When I went to Spamcop to report the spam, the URL was not parsed out by
> > spamcop reporting engine. This domain is therefore not going to enter into
> > the data (at least from this spam run) and so won't be blocked.
> > BTW the domain is: agrinho.com.
>
> > I suppose I should tell spamcop about this...but I thought I'd mention it
> > here to fellow surblers because anything which stops spamvertized domains
> > going into spamcop will have an affect on blocking. In reality we need the
> > parsing mechanisms of clients (like SpamCopURI or URIDNSBL) *AND* of Spamcop
> > itself kept up to date with new obfuscation methods.
>
> SpamCop appears to not output domains that have already been
> recorded as "being fixed" by the ISP.  If that works properly
> it should probably be considered be a feature and not a bug.
>
> That said, I don't see *any* initial reports from SpamCop for
> agrinho.com, which suggests it was never processed at all,
> which is odd and probably should be reported to SpamCop
> for analysis.
>
> > Alternatively, we need
> > some way of submitting to one of the surbl lists, but that's a big step to
> > take...
>
> I'm not sure what Bill Stearns' policies are currently, but
> in principle you can report spam URI domains to him for
> inclusion in sa-blacklist and therefore ws.surbl.org.

	Policies are up at http://www.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/ .  I do
accept submisisons (see that page for how to submit), but I'm behind at
the moment, so please be patient.
	Cheers,
	- Bill

	"Learning French is trivial: the word for horse is cheval, and
everything else follows in the same way."
	-- Alan J. Perlis
(Courtesy of Mathieu ChouquetStringer <mathieu.chouquet-stringer at wanadoo.fr>)