[SURBL-Discuss] DNS for dummies

rleonard at opto22.com rleonard at opto22.com
Wed May 19 11:19:46 CEST 2004

Hi all.. I'm a wanna be Linux guy who somehow, even with my own ineptitude,
managed to get SA 2.63 with Qmail up and running on Redhat 9.0!  Recently I
got the SURBL's working and they have helped a LOT (I have a very weak box
that is running SA.. so the lookups saved a lot of processing time!)..
however..

I have noticed my outgoing traffic on our T1 has shot through the roof.  I
currently have the Linux box using our ISP's DNS server for lookups.. I'm
guessing it would be much more efficient if I had the linux box do it, cache
it.. I've even read about having it transfer the SURBL zones directly so
that lookups remain local..

Has anybody written a "HOWTO DNS" for dummies.. that could help walk me
through setting this up on my Linux box?