[SURBL-Discuss] Fwd: Re: ANTI-SURBL technique used by spammer

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed May 19 16:55:53 CEST 2004

This is a forwarded message
From: Fred <spamassassin at freddyt.com>
To: "Jeff Chan" <jeffc at surbl.org>
Date: Wednesday, May 19, 2004, 3:30:00 PM
Subject: ANTI-SURBL technique used by spammer

Well, I brought this up for a couple of reasons, it can be used for many
reasons, GOOD and BAD.

Your idea sounds good, it might also be used for some other heavy data files
we host for whatever reason.

I brought it up due to the possible bad uses of this technology.  It's
possible for a spammer to use this service for free bandwidth for images and
other content (flash, etc).

This is just one of those things to hold on to and keep an eye out for, if
the word get's out, the spammers might try and abuse it.  From the message
boards, most people don't care what it's used for, except those using 40 GB
per day in illegal movie downloads cause they choose to be a mirror.

Frederic Tarasevicius
Internet Information Services, Inc.
http://www.i-is.com/
810-794-4400
mailto:info at i-is.com

Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 19, 2004, 2:22:38 PM, Fred wrote:
>> Jeff,
>> Are you aware of http://freecache.org ?
>> Take a look here if not:
>> http://slashdot.org/articles/04/05/12/1635205.shtml?tid=126&tid=95
>> Thanks!
>
>> Frederic Tarasevicius
>
> Thanks for the info Fred.  Sounds like akamai for the rest of us.
> :)
>
> Should we publish the surbl site with it?
>
> Jeff C.

Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc at surbl.org
http://www.surbl.org/