[SURBL-Discuss] Re: SURBL not working properly in SA 3.0.x (and MailScanner)

alden at engineno9inc.com alden at engineno9inc.com
Wed Nov 3 05:17:30 CET 2004

On Tuesday, November 2, 2004, 1:10:15 PM, Alden Levy wrote:
>> Last week, I upgraded my server to FC1 (from RH 7.3).  Sendmail, Ensim,
>> perl also got upgraded (to 8.12.x, 4.02, 5.8.1, respectively.

>> Before the upgrade, everything worked well with SA 3.0.0 and MaliScanner
>> 4.34.  Now, SURBL doesn't work unless I do some really strange things. 
>> reinstalled SA, MS, and ClamAV, but no joy. I've since upgraded to SA
>> MS 4.35.9 and Mail::ClamAV 0.13. I already had ClamAV 0.80 installed.

>> spamassassin -D --lint works fine, and when I test spamassassin with a
>> URL, it gives the expected output. I don't get hits with MailScanner
>> unless I put the contents of 25_uribl.cf into my spam.assassin.prefs.conf
>> (which has a link from local.cf).

>> And my mail logs look fine, i.e., no errors, no MS restarts, etc.

>Did you remember to change your URIBL rules from header to body?

Yep.  I did this (I, too, had hoped that this would fix my problem). Any
other thoughts?


>  http://www.surbl.org/

> Important Note Regarding SpamAssassin 3.0.1 and later: When
> adding URIDNSBL rules, including SURBL or SBL ones using
> urirhsbl, urirhssub or uridnsbl, be sure to set the rule type
> to body. For example:
> urirhssub URIBL_JP_SURBL  multi.surbl.org.        A   64
> body      URIBL_JP_SURBL  eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_JP_SURBL')
> describe  URIBL_JP_SURBL  Has URI in JP at http://www.surbl.org/lists.html
> tflags    URIBL_JP_SURBL  net
> score URIBL_JP_SURBL    4.0
> This is a change from SpamAssassin 3.0.0, where body above was
> previously header. Here is the changelog reference:
> r54022 | felicity | 2004-10-07 22:21:30 +0000 (Thu, 07 Oct 2004) | 1 line
> bug 3734: uridnsbl rules work on body data, not header data, so change
> the rule type from header to body

>Jeff C.

More information about the Discuss mailing list