[SURBL-Discuss] Virginia Law is used for first time for felony SPAM convictions

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Fri Nov 5 15:05:43 CET 2004

Pre-Face: We run the public nameserver d3.surbl.org and it is located in
Virginia as is our company.  I wonder whether things like surbl (I can
definitely see Razor) could be extrapolated to increase the venue of this
type of law?  At the very worst, I think this is a definite "spammer
beware".

Anyway, after staying up till the wee hours after the election, I missed
this news article about 2 spammers being convicted of 3 felony's each in
Virginia this week. One sentenced to 9 years in jail, one got $7500 fine.

However, one particularly interesting note.  This case only accounted for
SPAM sent for less than a month and 3 days of email over 10K each day were
the reason for the 3 felony convictions.

Important to note, these were extraditions from North Carolina where they
SPAMmed users at AOL.  It looks like using or sending to Virginia-based
servers will be enough for felony convictions.

Regards,
KAM

Some sparse info here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23622-2004Nov3.html