[SURBL-Discuss] Re: RFC: consensus list?

David Hooton david.hooton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 13:00:47 CET 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 02:45:15 -0800, Jeff Chan <jeffc at surbl.org> wrote:
> Pondering the question of how to make a "telco grade" SURBL that
> had as close to zero false positives as possible, but would still
> catche many spams, I remembered that many of the biggest spam
> domains seem to appear in several different SURBL lists.
>
> What does anyone think about creating a "consensus" list
> that a telco or ISP might use to block at the MTA level?
>
> For example a domain that appears on:
>
>  ((SC or AB) and (JP or OB)) or PH

I think the percentile based lists are probably the best way to go -
ie. top 50% of all requested surbl listed domains or something like
that?

We should probably work on developing some more diverse spamtrap
feeds.  Quite a lot of ISP's have well established spamtraps that they
are either not using or are completely underutilising.

Lists like SC, AB and JP all seem to be good data sources, but if you
were trying to be certain of 0 FP's you'd need something to reliably
and continuously rebuild your data against and from.
--
Regards,

David Hooton