[SURBL-Discuss] SURBL bomb

Jose Marcio Martins da Cruz Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr
Wed Nov 17 09:11:19 CET 2004

Steven Champeon wrote:
> on Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 11:36:18AM -0600, Matthew Wilson wrote:
>
>>SURBL list,
>>
>>Has anyone seen any emails with hundreds of URIs - meant to overload
>>filtering servers and the SURBL DNS servers, not poison them...?

Many !

> Dunno about hundreds, but I've certainly seen many with bogus domains
> in the neighborhood of a few dozen...

No matter if domains are bogus or not.

SURBL software shall not check if the domain in URL exists, but if the domain is
listed at SURBL. URLs with bogus domains aren't usually visible to users and, if
the software is intelligent, it shall detect this and not even check them
against surbl.

  Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ           Tel. :(33) 01.40.51.93.41
  Ecole des Mines de Paris              http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
  60, bd Saint Michel                http://www.ensmp.fr/~martins
  75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06      mailto:Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr