[SURBL-Discuss] general questions.....

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Nov 24 00:24:22 CET 2004

On Tuesday, November 23, 2004, 2:27:03 PM, Chris Santerre wrote:
> Jeff and I are a prime example. I know and understand Jeff's philosophy.
> However I think if plumbing fixture inc sends out a newsletter to a
> purchased list, or a hired marketing firm does it, then they SHOULD be
> listed. Call it an education in email usage. When they contact to get off
> the list, we educate and remove. No biggy. It is not hard at all to be
> removed from SURBL if you are legit.

> We have seen numerous times a legit company sending a newsletter to a
> spamtrap. Numerous reasons and excuses. But they never would have known
> about it if they were not listed. And I think if they send to a spamtrap we
> have a right to list. Regardless of how legit, it is a wakeup call because
> obviously something went wrong to send to a spamtrap.

IMO, It's not our job to "educate" legitimate companies about
how to use email.  We want to list as many true spammer domains
as we can find and also prevent legitimate domains from being
listed.

> Now I can't go doing this, in respect to Jeff's wishes.

> However on the UC list I'm free to be as nutty as I want to be :)

> No UC isn't ready for prime time yet. Part of the problem is making sure I
> don't fall behind in WS work.

> --Chris

The goal with a greylist should be to cast a wider net but
to eventually filter those down to some truly black entries
that can be listed more broadly on full blacklists.