[SURBL-Discuss] Hi I'm new and I like SURBL

Tue Nov 30 15:53:00 CET 2004

Greetings noob, I mean Paul :-)

>what are others thoughts of the effectiveness of SURBL , risks of false
>positives, CPU usage, etc

SURBL rocks, but I'm a bit partial. The risks of FP are low, and we strive
to get them to zero. And anything reported as an FP is dealt with right
away, by numerous people. We take them very seriously.

Lookups are quick and getting quicker with each new mirror added. If you
have a LOT of traffic you can rsync to get lookups local. Directions are on
the SURBL.org site.

>I'm currently doing my spam checking in this order
>
>sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org  - reject at SMTP level
>standard greylisting
>SURBL  - using multi.surbl.org

I like everything but greylisting. It can have some issues when a timely
email is needed. Particularly with airline info. We've seen it here from
another SURBL contributor.

>How are you guys doing it and do you have any suggestions ?
>Low false
>positives are my goal in my setup.   I wondered if surbl should replace
>greylisting or RBL or should just complement.

Complement is always better, but if anything I would remove greylisting for
now. With SURBL I don't think you need it. But if you have the time and
don't mind waiting sometimes 20 minutes for some companies to resend, then
go ahead.

I think you will be very happy with SURBL.

Chris Santerre
System Admin and SARE Ninja
http://www.rulesemporium.com
http://www.surbl.org
'It is not the strongest of the species that survives,
not the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.'
Charles Darwin