[SURBL-Discuss] namesdatabase . com

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sun Oct 3 23:16:07 CEST 2004

On Sunday, October 3, 2004, 8:41:21 AM, Frank Ellermann wrote:
> Jeff Chan wrote:

>> We know the guy behind the site is a piece of brown
>> something.

>> The question is whether it has legitimate uses.  I personally
>> think these sites are mostly abusive scams, but I'd like to
>> know if they have legitimate uses.

> Please drop the idea that a site is either white or black.  If
> it's an abusive scam, then nobody wants it in his inbox.

As the saying goes: if we wanted to block all spam we could list
* .  At this point we have some good spam sources and we need to
find ways to eliminate false positives.

The best way to do that is to look for domains or IP addresses
that one might expect to find in hams, and make sure those are
not in the lists.  Therefore we try to find records that may
have legitimate uses and take them off the lists as errors.

We are not trying to "find every spammer."  If we were, we could
just list everything we ever find, but then we would have lists
that were largely unusable.

I think it's important to share some goals if we are to have
meaningful and useful results.