[SURBL-Discuss] namesdatabase . com

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Mon Oct 4 00:05:38 CEST 2004

Jeff Chan wrote:

> if we wanted to block all spam we could list *

Works in both directions, if you wanted to white list sites
with some potential "legitimate use" (and your last message
indicated that this includes abusive scams), then you could
white list *.

> we have some good spam sources and we need to find ways
> to eliminate false positives.

You have collected some ways in the new listing policy.  If
you need more ways you could test the PR (it's probably not
much better than Alexa, but you could test it with IE - sorry,
I can't help you there, I've never implemented the hack to
get a PR without IE, I only know that it exists ;-).

> We are not trying to "find every spammer."

I know.  But sometimes you're apparently trying to find every
not-yet-spammer, and for obvious reasons both ways won't work.

> we would have lists that were largely unusable.

Yes, there are too many domains to list them all.  Just ignore
dubious cases until they really show up somewhere.  BLs without
any FPs are IMHO technically impossible, unless they are empty.

                 Bye, Frank