[SURBL-Discuss] Re: Possible large whitelist from DMOZ data

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Oct 6 16:12:09 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, October 6, 2004, 7:05:41 AM, Chris Santerre wrote:
>>From: Jeff Chan [mailto:jeffc at surbl.org]

>>And some list counts from those hits:
>>
>>    [ws] hits:     1173
>>    [ob] hits:      165
>>    [jp] hits:       61
>>    [sc] hits:        8
>>    [ab] hits:        4
>>    [ph] hits:        2
>>
>>These add up to more than 1338 since some records hit multiple
>>lists.  The actual hits are in:
>>
>>  http://spamcheck.freeapp.net/whitelists/dmoz-blocklist.ws

> Wow, it looks like some of the DMOZ data can't be trusted. Some of those
> domains in this WS blocklist are pure spammers.

> adultmovienetwork.com has 135+ NANAS hits, is listed in spamhaus, ect.....

Sure, but do they have any legitimate (non-spam) uses or ham
mentions?  (apple.com has 851 NANAS hits.  Does that make them
spammers?)  Spamhaus is a good indication, but they may not have
exactly the same operational requirements as we do: namely don't
block ham.

> These need to ALL be checked carefully. Do not use DMOZ to autowhitelist. I
> will check A-C in this list. Any takers to check the rest?

> 1173 FPs......I doubt it.

> --Chris

I've broken down the WS data source hits individually in a
private message to all the WS data folks.  Perhaps people
could start by checking their individual ones.