[SURBL-Discuss] FP: zd-swx.com

Joe Wein joewein at pobox.com
Fri Oct 8 02:46:51 CEST 2004

Rob McEwen wrote>
> Possible FP:
>
> zd-swx.com
>
> This one is a tough one. On the one hand, I think this domain is used by
> Ziff Davis (publisher of PC Mag) for sending out some of their
newsletters.

> This domain was found at the top of a header of what appears to be a
> legitimate PC magazine newsletter. (I know, I'm not suppose to SURBL-check
> headers... but I do this on a limited and extremely audited basis... I
only
> "set it and forget it" SURBL check on the message bodies.)

If it were to appear in the body, we couldn't list it.

> Anyway, zd-swx.com is registered by easydns.com. I can't figure out what
> easydns.com has to do with Ziff Davis? ...and why would Ziff Davis use
this
> kind of service to send out newsletters? Am I missing something here?

EasyDNS is only the *registrar*, not the registrant. Nothing odd about that.

However, the actual *registrant* is a little unusual for a ZD-related
domain:

     Registrant:
      1505820 Ontario Inc
      610 Ford Drive Unit #1
      Oakville, ON L6J 7V2
      CA

      Domain name: ZD-SWX.COM

      Administrative Contact:
         Administrator, Network  admin at rapid-e.biz
         610 Ford Drive Unit #1
         Oakville, ON L6J 7V2
         CA
         (905) 337 8616    Fax: (905) 337 2882

rapid-e.biz, the domain of the hoster of zd-swx.com, has 6 NANAS sightings
to it.

Furthermore it currently has no NS or MX, i.e. the administrative contact
for zd-swx.com is not contactable by email. The same applies to these
related domains:

dbhits.com
dtr3-re.com
rapid-e.biz
rapid-e.net
synapse-swx.com
ym-swx.com

You may want to point that out to the registrar(s) of these domains...

Joe