[SURBL-Discuss] Revised DMOZ data, got Wikipedia domains too

Ryan Thompson ryan at sasknow.com
Fri Oct 8 21:14:08 CEST 2004

Chris Santerre wrote to 'surbl at alexb.ch' and 'SURBL Discussion list':

>> I wouldn't appreciate it being whitelisted as then if there's abuse,
>> and it does get blacklisted, there's no pressure on the domain holder
>> to clean up.
>
> I'm hoping UC list will help with that. Anyone who wishes to use it
> can add a minor score to spam for UC hits. This would put at least
> some sort of preasure for these grey hats to do something.

Ezzactly. Even if it's worth 0.1 points in SA (or something), the stigma
of having one's domain listed in some sort of bad "list" might be enough
to promote action, provided the accuracy of UC is quite good. (I.e., we
definitely still don't want to list everything :-) "Quite good" in that
case probably means < 1% FP, but I think we can do even better than that
with a few clever tricks.

Personally, I'm hoping UC will be worth more than 0.1 even with a
somewhat higher FP rate, since there will be little or no overlap with
other SURBL tests, but that'll depend on some mass-checks. :-)

- Ryan

--
   Ryan Thompson <ryan at sasknow.com>

         Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon