[SURBL-Discuss] Took top percentiles of DMOZ and wikipedia domains, some results

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sun Oct 10 03:32:11 CEST 2004

On Saturday, October 9, 2004, 11:29:42 AM, Ryan Thompson wrote:
> Jeff Chan wrote to SURBL Discuss:

>> 0catch.com
> Free web space

>> 1asphost.com

>> 741.com
> Free/paid web host.

>> 8bit.co.uk
> Blank index on main (www) site. Subdomain only?

>> anzwers.org
> Unlimited free web space.

>> f2g.net
> Free web hosting.

>> faithweb.com
>> fateback.com
>> fortunecity.de
>> freewebpage.org
> Another free host.

>> galeon.com
> Can't translate, but looks like another hoster.

>> 8m.net
>> iwarp.com
>> htmlplanet.com
>> itgo.com
> More free hosts. These all redirect to freeservers.com (not listed)

>> i8.com
> 50megs.com free host

> Ok, is it just coincidence that all of these so far are free hosts?

> - Ryan

Yes those all look like free hosting providers.  Should we
whitelist them?  I think so.  I also think they're probably
not used by major spammers.

It's perhaps worth noting that most of these free sites seem
to have some legitimate uses and the free hosting providers
(themselves) probably should not be listed.  I see music, movie,
literature, etc. sites hosted on them in the DMOZ and wikipedia
data.  Mostly they look like personal fan and hobby pages, which
seems reasonable for free hosts.