[SURBL-Discuss] New data: SURBL DNS queries

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sun Oct 10 13:52:18 CEST 2004

On Sunday, October 10, 2004, 12:52:59 AM, Jeff Chan wrote:
>   http://www.surbl.org/dns-queries.unmatched.30thpercentile.txt

> Quite a few appear ok to whitelist, like democrats.org,
> pudue.edu, latimes.com, charter.net, zdnet.com, etc. and I'll
> probably go ahead and whitelist obvious ones like these, so some
> of these will probably be off this "unmatched" list and onto the
> whitelist hits by the time you read this.

OK I went ahead and whitelisted a few dozen obvious whitehats
from this unmatched DNS query data:

  http://spamcheck.freeapp.net/whitelists/unmatched-9oct04.sort

Most of them are very obviously whitehats.  A couple I had to
look up.  None of these are FPs; I'm just adding them to keep
them off the lists, and eventually out of the DNS queries from
SpamAssassin.

At the same time I noticed a couple domains in these that
belong to some companies that have multiple legitimate domains.

For example, tmcs.net belongs to ticketmasters, which in turn
belongs to a consolidation company iac.com, which owns many other
internet content companies like expedia, match.com, etc.  Since
they all have apparent legitimate uses I tried to find most of
them, then whitelisted them all as:

  http://spamcheck.freeapp.net/whitelists/iac.sort

Likewise Reed Electronics publishes many professional electronics
journals like Electronic Design News (EDN), and they have
essentially a links page to their various organizations, so
I whitelisted them all:

  http://spamcheck.freeapp.net/whitelists/reedelectronics.sort

Reed Electronics is owned by elsevier.com.

There were also a few stray yahoo domains in those top
unmatched queries that we didn't already have whitelisted,
so I took our existing yahoo domain list and added more
hand-checked yahoo domains from the DMOZ, Wikipedia and
DNS query data into:

  http://spamcheck.freeapp.net/whitelists/yahoo.sort

It's still probably not a complete list of yahoo domains,
but it's a pretty good start, especially based on volume
of queries.

On the blackhat side, there are definitely some spammers in the
top unmatched DNS queries that should be checked and probably
listed in SURBLs:

  http://www.surbl.org/dns-queries.unmatched.30thpercentile.txt

I'll leave it to some of you folks who enjoy listing spammers
(more than whitelisting hammers ;-) to look into some of these....

Since spam domains tend to be a lot more dynamic than ham
domains, I'd recommend checking this list every few days.

Certainly there are more ham domains in there also and
if anyone spots any, please report or whitelist them.

Cheers,