[SURBL-Discuss] Took top percentiles of DMOZ and wikipediadomains, some results

Rob McEwen rob at powerviewsystems.com
Thu Oct 14 06:30:52 CEST 2004

>Would anyone like to help check these potential FP domains?

Jeff,

The list in the URL is larger than the list in your post. I presume because
the list in your post excludes those which have since been whitelisted?

Anyway, I ran a "rule" on my spam filter which would archive any e-mail
going to my server which had any of these domains in the body of the
message. About 7,000 messages go though my server daily (~40% legit/~60%
spam). Over the course of at least a few days, not a single message (ham or
spam) contained any of the domains in that list.

Also, to be sure, I tested it by sending myself an e-mail with one of these
domains in it and, sure enough, the message DID get copied to the correct
folder for review... but, as I said, no "real" messages going through my
mail server contained any of these domains over the course of 4 or 5 days.

I finally turned that particular "rule" off this morning.

Absent compelling evidence otherwise, I'd suggest at least removing these
from SURBL... maybe even whitelisting if there are no other objections and
if they don't have SpamHaus records.

Rob McEwen