[SURBL-Discuss] Recently whitelisted

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Oct 20 22:15:24 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, October 20, 2004, 12:46:53 PM, Rob McEwen wrote:
> BTW... since it seems like many of these are hosting companies who do not
> "police" their customers for spam as well as they ought to... this brings up
> a question...

> I know that SURBL is intended for domains and IP addresses. Therefore, NOT
> listing a domain probably allows some of that domain's subdomains and
> subwebs to go crazy with their spam sending.

I somewhat disagree with that premise.  There's a disincentive
for shared hosting companies to allow their services to be
abused since it adds to their traffic and support costs and
gains them little.  Abuses at legitimate providers tends to
be a money loser.  On the other hand if they ignore abuse
complaints they can save on immediate support costs.

But hard core spammers would do a lot of damage to a shared
legitimate host, in terms of traffic, support, and damaged
reputation which is why pill/mortgage/warez spammers usually
seem to be on their own domains and often on their own servers.
And they host at spam friendly or tolerant ISPs in places
like China, Korea and Brazil.

> subwebs = thatdomain.com/subweb

I would call those paths.  Anything on the right hand side of the
domain is a path, directory or folder depending on the local
vocabulary.