[SURBL-Discuss] free host: greatnow.com

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Tue Oct 26 01:58:06 CEST 2004

on Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 04:40:07PM -0700, Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Monday, October 25, 2004, 3:46:58 PM, Bret Miller wrote:
> > Having a URIBL that hits some ham means that I may, as with other rules,
> > have to whitelist more senders. OTOH, not having one means that users
> > will receive more spam, which is complained about far more here than
> > FPs.
>
> The problem with FPs is that they may prevent a message from ever
> arriving.  Absent a telephone call or some other communication,
> a falsely blocked legitimate message may never get discovered.
> FPs are far more damaging than false negatives (spam that gets
> through undetected).  Therefore it's much better to get a little
> spam than to get legitimate messages blocked.

My goal is to eliminate spam. Part of my strategy involves quarantining.
BLs such as UC allow me to quarantine "possible spam" through scoring or
other mechanisms. Don't blame the DNSBL if people use a quarantine-only
list for delivery-time rejection.

--
join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/web_designer.html       join us!
join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/account_manager.html    join us!