[SURBL-Discuss] free host: greatnow.com

Matthew Hunter matthew at infodancer.org
Tue Oct 26 06:20:11 CEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 10:56:35PM -0500, Matthew Hunter <matthew at infodancer.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 04:24:10PM -0700, Jeff Chan <jeffc at surbl.org> wrote:
> > On Monday, October 25, 2004, 4:10:16 PM, Jeff Chan wrote:
> > > it's good to test on more
> > > system and more than one set of mail to better find potential
> > > problems.
> > more than one systems....
> > Anyway did we find any other public blog spam data besides
> > jayallen?
> > IIRC Matthew Hunter was staring to collect some blog spam data.
> > Matthew, how is that going?
> Fairly well by my primary measure, which is stopping spam
> comments and trackbacks on my blog.  I've learned that the number
> of domains actually being used for this sort of thing is very
> small compared to email spam.  I've added the 24 domains of my
> own to the MT-blacklist list from 2004/08/29 and that has sufficed
> to block everyone who is trying to spam my blog.  0 false
> positives on blog spam attempts, but I'm not using the same list
> to block on email.

It should be noted that my definition of "false positive" may
differ from that of the SURBL overall.  In particular, I don't
consider a domain a false positive if someone has attempted to
blog-spam me with it -- even if the domain has legitimate uses.
The domains I am being spammed with are very obviously
porn-related; as my blog is not porn-related they are clearly
spam.

Whether someone who is into porn and/or willing to pay for
porn would have a legitimate use for these domains I can't say.
So there might be FPs from a SURBL perspective.  But not from
mine.

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt