[SURBL-Discuss] In support of Project Honeypot

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Oct 27 09:40:44 CEST 2004

Justin Mason mentioned Project Honeypot on the SpamAssassin Users
list shortly after they opened things up for public use:

On Monday, October 25, 2004, 1:26:55 PM, Justin Mason wrote:
> http://www.projecthoneypot.org/

> seems interesting, they plan to share their resulting corpora, and they
> seem like nice guys too [...]

> --j.

I've donated 25 MX records to Project Honeypot so far.  It looks
like a good project mainly to provide solid data for legal action
against spammers, harvesters, zombie deployers, etc.  I'd
encourage others to do likewise.

Project Honeypot will also share their data with us so eventually
we may have another good source of spam URI domains for SURBLs.

What they need now are more people to donate DNS MX records and
put up honeypots on their own sites.  (The two aspects are
separate; you can do either or both if you like.)  Their site
offers plenty of good explanations about legal, technical, etc.
areas of the project:

  http://www.projecthoneypot.org

So I'd like to encourage more folks to participate.

Cheers,

Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc at surbl.org
http://www.surbl.org/