[SURBL-Discuss] In support of Project Honeypot

Christopher Albert albert.chris at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 17:03:17 CEST 2004

Jeff, Matthew

> >Here's a response to Chris Albert's concerns about Project
> >Honeypot from Matthew Prince, the head of Project Honeypot and
> >unspam.com.

Thanks for the clear and frank post Matthew. I'm convinced now of your
bona fides.

About the Google placements: you would be surprised how changing some
syntax and replacing some words with synonyms could change the Google
placements.
You could test this with a Gmail account, since I'm sure the matching
algorithm is similar, though there might be different partitioning on
Gmail than that used for websites (e.g. are threads grouped into
semantic classes!?). I think with a little behavioural analysis you
will be able to change the palcements from email marketing firms to
spam fighting firms. I appreciate the ironic, sweet vengeance effect
of the current placements, and in fact I really thought it might be an
ironic clin d'oeil. However, there is so much bad faith, deception,
and downright criminal intent   among the hardcore spammers, that a
certain apriori skepticism is often warranted by default.

Count me in. I may have some IT resources to share.

Chris Albert