[SURBL-Discuss] To MUNGE to not to MUNGE

Rob McEwen (PowerView Systems) rob at powerviewsystems.com
Wed Sep 1 13:44:20 CEST 2004

>It doesn't work that way. The whitelist means we dont add THOSE domains to
>the SURBLs, other domains listed in those mails will still trigger the
>SURBL filtering.

First, I'm referring to a person's LOCAL whitelisting of SURBL list messages so that these messages bypass all filtering in order to allow SURBL-blocked domains to not stop the SURBL list message. In this scenario, SURBL-filtering could possibly be totally bypassed if the message contained "lists.surbl.org", ... thus creating a loophole for spammers who might try to use this as a tactic for their spam to also bypass the filter.

However, my question was probably a silly question to begin with because (as I realized when reading other's messages) the actual IP address of the surbl list server could also be factored into the local whitelisting so that such potentially shrewd tactics of spammers I mentioned above could be defeated.

Follow?

Rob McEwen