[SURBL-Discuss] To MUNGE to not to MUNGE

William Stearns wstearns at pobox.com
Wed Sep 1 16:01:17 CEST 2004

Good day, SM(?),

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, SM wrote:

> At 10:04 01-09-2004, Rob wrote:
> >Currently, I do whitelist this list, but...
> >
> >...and maybe I'm getting paranold here...
> >
> >What happens if spammers start adding SURBL tolkins to their spam? (like
> >"lists.surbl.org") Are there not situations here which could defeat our
> >whitelisting and force us back to munging anyway?

	As a side note, I'm spending a _lot_ of time recently on
"whitelist" domains; in this context, domains that should never end up on
the blacklist.  I actively hunt down domains and add them to the whitelist
even before they show up in a spam, so that if one of the submitters
mis-submits earthlink.net, yahoo.com, surbl.org, or apache.org (*gulp*),
those can never make it onto the blacklist.
	I'd like to sincerely thank the nigerian spammers for a rich
source of webmail whitelist domains.  :-)
	Cheers,
	- Bill

	"Heisenberg _may_ have slept here."
(Courtesy of Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com>)