[SURBL-Discuss] To MUNGE to not to MUNGE

Ryan Thompson ryan at sasknow.com
Wed Sep 1 14:43:04 CEST 2004

William Stearns wrote to SURBL Discussion list:

Hi Bill,

> I get the impression you're pushing hard for no munging
> at all to this list.

"Pushing hard" might be a bit strong, but, yes, I made the suggestion.

> Are you using an automated script to extract domains?  If so,
> how hard would it be to add:
>
> sed -e 's/-MUNGED//'
>
> to the beginning?

Nope, I use no automation for this list. For those that feel they *must*
munge, it'd be best to at least employ something with readability and
copy/paste-friendliness.  spam-MUNGEDdomain.com does neither for me. :-)

Actually, I expected a *lot* more apathy on this topic. In truth, *I'm*
a lot more apathetic to this than this thread would suggest :-)

>>      <P>Note that the -MUNGED should appear at the end (or the
>>      beginning) of the URI, not in the middle, as this makes it
>>      difficult to read, and copy/paste the domain.</P>
>
> Those may still be caught by other filters.  That's the whole point of
> sticking "-MUNGED" in the middle, or my suggestion of a single space
> before ".com", which won't affect human readability.  What was your
> opinion of that idea?  Perhaps you didn't see the last time I proposed
> it because my last message ended up in you spam folder.  *griiiiiin*

;-) I saw it, but, honestly, I don't really care *how* domains are
munged. I'd just rather they not be munged at all for this list. :-)

- Ryan

--
   Ryan Thompson <ryan at sasknow.com>

         Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon