[SURBL-Discuss] To MUNGE to not to MUNGE

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Sep 1 13:51:27 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, 9:30:50 AM, William Stearns wrote:
>         Then how about a compromise?  Instead of someMUNGEDwebsite.com,
> how about "somewebsite .com".  Still completely human readable, but skips
> past spam filters.  A win for everybody?

Actually if we are going to munge, I prefer something really
visible.  Munging with a space will work, but it might be missed
during a copy and paste, for example.

By the way, I believe it's only necessary to munge things that
would likely be interpreted as a URI such as www.somedomain.com,
http://host.somedomain.com, http://somedomain.com, etc.

Most mail URI parsers probably aren't interpreting raw domains
as URIs.  Therefore it's probably not necessary to munge plain
somedomain.com .  That said, behavior of URI parsers may vary.