[SURBL-Discuss] Re: Applying SURBL against blog comment spammers

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Thu Sep 2 01:23:48 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, 11:25:40 PM, Matthew Hunter wrote:
> I just whipped up some code to reject trackback/comment spam
> using a SURBL as a data source.  Unfortunately, the people
> spamming my weblogs aren't in multi.surbl.org, so I will have to
> maintain my own local blacklist server.

> The single most useful thing that could be done wrt fighting spam
> in weblogs would be an SURBL source that had the offending
> domains in it.  I would offer to make mine public, but I don't
> have the IP to spare at the moment...

> Does anyone know of an appropriate SURBL list?

Hi Matthew,
We could perhaps set up a separate SURBL for blog spammers.
It would be a slight shift in focus since the other SURBLs are
all for email spam.  Can you give an idea of how many records
you have?

Also have you tried Jay Allen's MT-Blacklist/Comment Spam
list:

  http://www.jayallen.org/comment_spam/

It would be interesting to look at your data to see if there's
much overlap with our existing lists.  In the case of Jay's data,
there's nearly none.

Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc at surbl.org
http://www.surbl.org/