just don't call it a greylist (was: Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Proposing a greylist)

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Thu Sep 2 12:23:49 CEST 2004

on Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 12:47:44AM +1000, David Hooton wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:09:27 -0400 , Chris Santerre
> <csanterre at merchantsoverseas.com> wrote:
> > I am officially proposing a greylist surbl.
> >
> > We are going to see more and more of this stuff. We might as well deal with
> > it now. I'm suggesting a greylist for all spammers that ride that line. Like
> > the euniverse junk we have been talking about.
>
> I think this is a good idea.

Ditto. But please, for the love of god, don't call it a greylist. Call it
what it is - an unconfirmed, FP-risky, anything-goes list.

unconfirmed.surbl.org

Greylisting is a completely different concept, and given how much
trouble we've already had dealing with people in the antispam community
because we insist on referring to "exclusion" of a domain from SURBL as
"whitelisting", perhaps now is the time to get the terminology right.

Steve

Buy "Cascading Style Sheets: Separating Content from Presentation, 2/e" today!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159059231X/heskecominc-20/ref=nosim/