[SURBL-Discuss] Proposing a greylist

Mariano Absatz el.baby at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 14:02:12 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:23:45 +0200 (CEST), Raymond Dijkxhoorn
<raymond at prolocation.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > I am officially proposing a greylist surbl.
> >
> > We are going to see more and more of this stuff. We might as well deal with
> > it now. I'm suggesting a greylist for all spammers that ride that line. Like
> > the euniverse junk we have been talking about.
>
> Bingo! I tried to get this one some weeks ago, but time wasnt right i
> guess, i hope it is now.
>
> > 1)We DO NOT include it in multi.
>
> We can include in multi, why not...
Nope... One of the ideas behind multi is that lazy sysadmins can put
only one rule and if that hit, then 'subrl hit'.

I think this MUST NOT be in multi.

> > 2)We SCREAM to the world that it WILL hit some legit, and that only hard
> > liners should use.
> > 3)We DON'T remove domains unless they go completely black, or have no NANAS
> > hits for 3-4 months.
> > 4)See number 2 again.
> > 5)We tell people it is completely optional and to see number 2.
> >
> > I predict it would be used more for personal emails. IT also gives us an in
> > between mechanism. Rather then list or no list. We get a grey list we
> > desperately need.
>
> Anyone ?

I concord with Steven's comment... this MUST NOT be called 'greylist'
because that term is already beeing used for something completely
different... I'd like a name that implies that it WILL have FPs... it
can be the elegant 'unconfirmed.surbl.org' as Seteven suggested or
something on the line of 'this-has-false-positives.surbl.org' or
'dont-use-this-if-you-re-stupid.surbl.org' :-)

I'm also thinking about the whitelists that applies to SURBLs...
AFAIK, there are two kinds of entries in the whitelist that Jeff
maintains...

One of them should also be applied to this list and is the one that
contains second level domain names that act as TLD's (like co.uk,
com.mx, net.ar).

IIRC the other items Jeff adds to the whitelist are simply domains
that hit a FP (like the ones I reportes 10 minutes ago). These MUST
NOT be whitelisted in the new list, since it would loose its meaning,
'cause that's Jeff's way to promptly react to FP's in any list.

--
Mariano Absatz - El Baby
el (dot) baby (AT) gmail (dot) com