[SURBL-Discuss] RE: Applying SURBL against blog comment spammers

Rob McEwen rob at powerviewsystems.com
Fri Sep 3 12:28:39 CEST 2004

>On the other hand, our databases are pretty far reaching and
>should have hit on even older blog spam domains, yet they
>largely didn't.

Another thing to keep in mind is that blog-comment spammers don't have the
option to go back and rework their old comment with a fresh domain names. We
already know that e-mail spammers switch to newer domains all the time to
beat the filters, otherwise they would get blacklisted too easily.

This highlights a significant difference in the nature of blog spam and
e-mail spam which needs to be taken into account when comparing blog spam to
SURBL... (but this difference doesn't mean that they are different
spammers.)

Another related question is, do blog-comment spammers ALSO try to avoid old
domains names, or do they not even worry about this because of not having to
deal with as sophisticated and mature of a spam-blocking infrastructure as
the e-mail spammers deal with? Follow?

Rob McEwen