[SURBL-Discuss] Proposing a greylist

Bret Miller bret.miller at wcg.org
Fri Sep 3 09:42:16 CEST 2004

> After watching this thread, I am beginning to see that there are 2
> different interpretations of what SURBL's are here for.
>
>     1. Purist's view - SURBL's are here to block domains that only
> appear in spam
>     2. Spam Nazi - if it's spam block it at all costs

You hit the nail on the head there... Even in many of the add-on rule
sets, there are rules which "hit only spam" and rules which "hit mainly
spam, but hit on some ham". Jeff argues that only sites that "hit only
spam" belong in SURBL. I don't see it that way. I definitely thing
there's room for a SURBL that hits on some ham-- you just score it lower
so that a somewhat spammy-looking message might get pushed over the
threshhold because it includes a site that appears in a lot of spam but
also appears in some ham.

Bret

Send your spam to: bretmiller at wcg.org
Thanks for keeping the internet spam-free!