[SURBL-Discuss] Proposing a greylist

Bret Miller bret.miller at wcg.org
Fri Sep 3 14:59:43 CEST 2004

To further this idea, comparing it to DNSBLs is appropriate. There are a
lot of DSNBLs you can use. Many agree that sbl-xbl spamhaus lists are
high quality with no (or almost no) false positives. For that reason, a
lot of us use them to block e-mail.

Bl.spamcop.net is another DNSBL, and while it's a fine list, the FP rate
is much too high for me to block e-mail on it alone. However, it's
highly useful in SpamAssassin, putting many messages over the spam score
threshold.

While the SURBL staff has decided that they would rather not "divide
their efforts" to support a project like this, it certainly doesn't mean
that it shouldn't be done be someone else. At that point, the staff is
right to ask that the discussion about its details be moved off this
list. Perhaps the better place to discuss this is the SA general list as
they are more open to just about any new project that helps SA detect
spam accurately.

I know if I relied totally on any one method of filtering spam, a lot of
spam would be getting through that isn't. It's because the comination of
content and structure analysis with bayesian analysis DNSBL and URIBL
all contributes to the end result.

Bret