[SURBL-Discuss] Perfect example!

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Fri Sep 3 16:43:24 CEST 2004

On Friday, September 3, 2004, 3:07:38 PM, Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Friday, September 3, 2004, 1:06:17 PM, Chris Santerre wrote:
>> tourisme-montreal.org

>> Just sent a spam to our president. However it has legit uses. Screw them!
>> Here is a nice fresh one for UC :)

> What IP address did it come from?????

> If it's their own mail server, just block the mail server.
> Don't SURBL it.

I meant to send that off list.

But it begs the question: if you do add it to an unconfirmed
list, then what?  First of all, they're probably not major
spammers.  If you use it to warn them to be less spammy,
that's fine, but it does nothing about the really hard core
spammers.

Maybe after we solve the problem of zombie users by getting
the SURBL data so clean that it can be used in MTAs or
firewalls, then we can go back and get the marginal spammers.
Until then we are simply diverting attention from the major
troublemakers.