[SURBL-Discuss] Perfect example!

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Fri Sep 3 16:55:07 CEST 2004

On Friday, September 3, 2004, 3:46:34 PM, Bret Miller wrote:
>> On Friday, September 3, 2004, 1:06:17 PM, Chris Santerre wrote:
>> > tourisme-montreal.org
>>
>> > Just sent a spam to our president. However it has legit
>> uses. Screw them!
>> > Here is a nice fresh one for UC :)

>> What IP address did it come from?????
>>
>> If it's their own mail server, just block the mail server.
>> Don't SURBL it.

> So let me get this straight... He can't add it to SURBL because it has
> legit uses (which he's acknowledged), so you'd rather that he block
> their entire mail server including it's legit uses for all his users
> rather than build a list that could be used by SA to incrementally
> increase the spam score?

It depends on the goals of the greylisters.  If they're using it
to pressure marginal spammers into spamming less, that's fine,
but again they're dealing with marginal spammers and not the
hard core ones.

If they're trying to block messages, there are much more
efficient ways to do that with sender IP or sender domain
since most of the marginal spammers probably are not using
zombies.  The difference in efficiency for blocking is
probably multiple orders of magnitude.