[SURBL-Discuss] Nonexistent domains

Raymond Dijkxhoorn raymond at prolocation.net
Sun Sep 5 10:12:24 CEST 2004

Hi!

> What's the deal with nonexistent domains? I've been seeing more of these
> in my corpora. They don't look like typos. Are spammers making up names,
> or are they registering domains and having them deleted later (either by
> their choice, or the registrars'?) Should we even consider listing them,
> or is poisoning not-yet-registered domains too much of a risk?
>
> Here's an example mail. In this case, the other domain in the email,
> "netdreamwatches.com", is already in many SURBLs, but
> "netdreamwatches4.com" does not exist.
>
> My thought is *not* to list the NX'ers if there's another existing
> domain in the mail fit for SURBL.

Could be, but could also be that the register terminated the domain. More
and more registers dont tolerate massive abuse but indeed its a trend. We
also noticed this. Perhaps its in advance, we have also seen that. They
assume some part will read the mail later. Would be nice to watch those
domains if they come alive lateron this week or so ?

Bye,
Raymond.