[SURBL-Discuss] Re: SURBL problems

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Tue Sep 7 01:37:35 CEST 2004

On Monday, September 6, 2004, 4:20:56 PM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> I haven't debugged this yet any further since I'm on the brink to leaving
> for a vacation. Is it possible that one or more of the SURBL RBLs habe
> problems today? I was getting a lot of SA time-outs today and the first
> reason which comes to my mind is SURBL lookups. It's the only RBL lookup
> we use in SA which is run via MailScanner. If SA times out it gives it a
> score of 0.00, tells me the reason (SA timeout) and handles the spam as
> clean. For the last hours this happened with about every second incoming
> mail (spam and ham likewise, so it's unlikely to be some sort of "bad"
> spam). This setup has been running for some weeks now, MailScanner 4.32.x
> plus SA3-RC2, without any problems. SA timeout for MailScanner is set to
> 120 seconds. There doesn't seem to be a timeout value for SURBL checks -
> is this possible? No changes to setup or software during the last days,
> machine has low load.

What you describe sounds perhaps like a DNS timeout (which
SA3 may support through your operating system's resolver).
There are currently three SURBL nameservers with problems,
but they're all commented out of the authority for the
subdomains, so they should not be a problem.

If you do:

  dig test.surbl.org.multi.surbl.org a

many times, do you get any delays?

Is anyone else seeing problems?