[SURBL-Discuss] Re: SURBL problems

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Tue Sep 7 03:25:48 CEST 2004

On Monday, September 6, 2004, 5:57:32 PM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Jeff Chan wrote on Mon, 6 Sep 2004 16:56:57 -0700:

>> Hang on, that's not a meaningful test since it would be in your
>> local resolver cache.
>>

> First check took 22 msec to get the data from our forwarder. I noticed
> that our nscd isn't running, so I restarted it, although I don't think
> there should be much difference in the performance. The SA timeout in
> MailScanner is 120 secs, that's quite long. Is it possible at all that
> URISURBL lookups take that long and aren't killed before that?

I assume all programs are subject to some kind of DNS lookup
timeouts either in the application or an external resolver.
RBL lookups in general should be quite fast and cached.  If
something is taking longer than 120 seconds it's probably broken.
Given that name resolution on RBLs should normally take a few
milliseconds, if they're taking more than a few seconds there
could definitely be a problem somewhere.

nscd is some kind of hostname caching program but I'm not
familiar with it.  Are things better after you restarted it?
Why did it stop?  Did it give any error messages?

Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc at surbl.org
http://www.surbl.org/