[SURBL-Discuss] Re: ANNOUNCE: Top SURBL DNS queries and whitelist hits

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Tue Sep 7 15:16:53 CEST 2004

On Tuesday, September 7, 2004, 6:13:19 AM, Chris Santerre wrote:
>>From: Jeff Chan [mailto:jeffc at surbl.org]

>>We've made a list of the top SURBL DNS queries into my name server:
>>
>>  http://www.surbl.org/dns-queries.counts.txt
>>
>>and a version with only whitelist hits:
>>
>>  http://www.surbl.org/dns-queries.whitelist.counts.txt

> Would it be possible to hard code a "SKIP" for certain URLs?

> 175     yahoo.com
> 157     w3.org
> 87      msn.com
> 77      flowgo.com

> Why have the code even bother to check those? Sort of like a permanent hard
> coded Whitelist. (Bah, Skiplist! I have to stop calling it a whitelist!)
> This would save traffic.

> Just a thought.

> --Chris

Yes, Theo proposed exactly such a thing for SA.  The top ones
should be fairly stable, and also offer the greatest reduction
in queries.

SpamCopURI comes with a local whitelist.  Eric could we ask you
to grab some of these, populate that list in future versions
and make it live?  The hooks are already there; we just need
to use them, and the top whitelist hits would be really useful.